Delight- Unmanned Electronic Public Toilet
Public toilets are not maintained properly and the very ambience and lack of cleanliness will prevent the public from using it. Also, lack of public toilets will lead to serious health and environmental issues. Sanitation is a critical intervention which is required to improve the living standards of people and to reduce or prevent diarrhoea and other seriously debilitating conditions, especially among children. Lacks of public toilets are often leading to urological diseases especially in women and is now considered as a biggest human rights violation.
In the product, Information, Communication and Environmental Technologies are applied for solving many of the inherent issues of public sanitation such as lack of cleanliness, lack of manpower support to look after the unit etc. This is developed in a way to position it very easily in the streets. This Plug and play toilet is designed by using multiple appropriate technologies. This innovative product has all the facilities for automated payment collection, door opening system, flushing, sterilisation and cleaning. SMS alerts are used for sending messages to inform the control room about any failures, errors etc. This unit is fabricated using environment friendly materials and practices. Innovative practices such as Bio waste management/water recycling etc can also be clubbed to the unit cost effectively. Unit is planned to generate its own energy from the Solar panels attached to it. It will also have the traditional power connection mechanism.
The Pressing Need
- Toilets and Public Sanitation system have to improve in many parts of the world
- Technology application in the sector is very less in parts of the world while compared to the western countries and other developing nations
- Lack of public toilet systems will cause serious health issues and it will cause urological issues especially to women
- Cleanliness is the most important issue to be addressed in the public toilets but is seriously lacking in the country, cleanliness and better sanitation can be attained using technological applications
- Streets in many countries are narrow and public places are very crowded, there fore the need for a portable, plug and play toilet is the pressing need of the time.
- Unmanned toilets can be very easily placed in busy streets and public locations as it require small space.
The proposed automated toilet has the following features,
- Portable Design - This Toilet is designed using Steel and Aluminium sheets to withstand environmental decaying issues and to have light weight.
- Automatic Payment Collection - Automatic payment collection module has been developed
- Automatic door opening - Doors are automated, after making payments doors will be automatically opened
- Alerts to users - Various alerts are positioned for the users. Time for using can be adjusted, and if the user is taking more payment, system will alert him
- Display Boards - Display boards in regional languages are placed in the unit to educate the users. Signs and diagrams will be used to educate illiterate users.
- Self washing mechanism - As usual the toilet has a self washing system and a hand pipe.
- Automatic Closet washing system - A powerful automatic self washing mechanism has been developed to make the toilet always clean; closet will be of wall handing, European style.
- Automatic Platform Cleaning Mechanism - After one user exist the place, the second layer of the platform can be automatically cleaned using a flush.
- Solar Panels - Solar panels are also be used to power up the units.
- Traditional powers back up mechanism - The toilet also have a traditional power back up mechanism if other sources are failed to operate.
- Water Tank - Unit also have a water tank that will be filled from the public tap or by the service Provider.
- SMS alerts to Control Room - SMS alerts are there to send to the control room on the status of water tank and biogas plant or in case of any errors or failures.
- Emergency Exit - An emergency exit is also planned in the unit